7 Easy Ways To Make Any Room Look Bigger
Whether your bedroom is small or you just want to create more space in the other rooms of the house, there are definitely ways to make your rooms look and feel bigger and spacious. Try these seven room-enhancing tips and make any room look bigger.
- A high or short ceiling is normally the defining factor of any room, determining if it is small or large. A definite way to enlarge any small room is to paint or wallpaper the ceiling, this will give the illusion of a high ceiling, instantly making any small room look bigger.
- Buy furniture with as much hidden storage space as possible! A sofa or a table in a small room can be the perfect hiding place for items that you’ve never actually used, but love too much to throw away. The key to making any small room look bigger is less is more and with all that extra storage space it can appear that there is less, when in reality you have way, way more! The key to this is simple organization. Place your items cleanly and compactly to ensure that the room looks clean, organized and large! Clutter is a small room’s worst enemy and with this simple hack you will not only enlarge your small room, you will have a cleaner and more organized living space.
- A foolproof way to make any small room look bigger is the use of stripes. Just like a striped outfit makes one look taller or slimmer, using striped rugs or wallpaper creates the illusion of an elongated floor or wall. A stylish and effective way utilize stripes in a small room is to paint or wallpaper one wall with stripes and the other three a different color, making the room seem large without making it suffocating.
- Leaving your windows uncovered has a way of extending a room. The more light the better! Lots of open windows means lots of light and this is essential to any small room in the house. If you’re worried about privacy, a useful tip is to use light blinds or shades instead of curtains to create a less heavy feel. Lots of greenery and light spilling into a small room makes the room appear tranquil and draws the eye around the entire room.
- Placing several mirrors strategically around a room is a genius way to instantly double any small room in size. When shopping for furniture, make sure mirrors are the first item on your list! They have the single handed ability to make any small room look bigger as large mirrors automatically give the illusion of more space.
- Finally, the last tip for making any small room look bigger is lighting. Avoid having just one large light fixture in the middle of a small room. This pools all the light in one place! Instead, place small lamps around the room. This spreads the light and draws the eye around the room making it appear that there is a lot more space than there actually is. Using tall lamps also assists in making the ceiling appear tall, thereby enlarging the room.
- Create unity in any small room by simply using different variations of the same color. Making the rug, walls and pillows different shades of the same color creates a coherence that makes any small room feel bigger and more open. If you are not interested in buying new furniture, using throw pillows or accessories of the same shade creates a similar effect.