Whole Wheat Pasta Arabiatta (Spicy Red Sauce)
The best recipe for healthy pasta!
We love pasta but it isn’t always the healthiest option. However, if you choose a whole wheat variety and skip the white sauce then you can enjoy a delicious bowl of pasta without the added guilt!
Follow our healthy pasta recipe and trust us, no one will miss the more fattening variety. And you’ll be getting constant requests for the recipe.
It’s also a great option if you want to throw an impromptu party
Whole Wheat Penne Arabiatta
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
2 cups whole wheat penne pasta
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
¾ cup mushrooms, fresh or tinned (either is fine)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 heaping tsp. red chili flakes
2 tsp. mixed Italian herbs
2 tins crushed tomatoes (you can use whole tomatoes too)
1 chicken stock cube
A handful of fresh basil leaves (optional)
¼ cup Mozzarella cheese (optional)
10-12 black olives, halved
Parmesan cheese for garnishing (optional)
- Boil whole wheat pasta until al dente. Drain and rinse well.
- Place a large sauce pan or degchi on medium heat and add olive oil, onions and garlic. Sauté until the onions are translucent and slightly golden.
- Add mushrooms and cook for one minute.
- Add salt, pepper, herbs and red chili flakes. Stir well.
- Now add 2 tins of crushed tomatoes, a few basil leaves and the stock cube. Stir and set the heat to low. Simmer for at least 20 mins, stirring occasionally in between. The goal is to allow the water to evaporate from the tomatoes so you end up with a rich tomato sauce.
- Add the whole wheat penne to the sauce. Stir through.
- Add mozzarella cheese, sliced olives and some extra basil leaves to finish off.
- Serve and enjoy!