Clean, exfoliate and moisturize is the best mantra to all skincare problems. But we often overlook these three essential skincare routines and tend to layer our skin with heavy makeups to hide any sorts of skin problems. The layering of heavy products on the skin can lead to further skin problems such as Milia.
Milia are tiny cysts under the skin that look like small white or yellow bumps. They can often form on the nose, cheeks, or under-eye region.
This skin issue is divided into two parts; Primary Milia and Secondary Milia. Primary Milia are formed due to the improper shedding of dead skin that can trap the keratin, contributing to the formation of Milia. Whereas, secondary Milia are often caused after trauma to the skin such as burns, post herpes, or any other inflammation.
How to Get Rid of Milia?
- Daily cleanse the affected area with gentle face wash or soap.
- Take a hot shower or use a steamer to open the pores.
- Exfoliate the area regularly with chemical exfoliants such as AHAs & BHAs.
- Don’t forget to use sunscreen during the daytime.
- Use light creams or serums containing retinoids which are derived from vitamin A. Retinoids are designed to treat acne and other skin issues such as Milia.
Other than these treatments the best way to get rid of Milia is by trained professionals. The process they use to gently extracted or cauterized Milia is quick with very little downtime.
If you’re prone to milia then stay away from very thick products or occlusives especially around your eye area. With the right treatment, skincare and special care Milia can be prevented.