Khatay aloo or sweet and sour potatoes are a Pakistani specialty enjoyed as a snack and even as a main meal.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 kg potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoon tamarind pulp
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 green chillies, sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- Soak tamarind in hot water for 15 minutes. Squeeze and take out pulp.
- Wash, peel and cut potato in cubes.
- Heat oil and add mustard seeds. Cook for about 30 seconds till they splutter.
- Add turmeric, red chili powder and coriander and saute.
- Add potatoes and saute.
- Add salt and water and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add tamarind pulp, brown sugar and sliced chilies, and stir.
- Cover and simmer on low heat till potatoes are tender.
- Serve hot with green chilies on top for garnish.