Raw Mango Keri Launji
Keri launji is a quick pickle made from keri (raw mangoes) and green chilies along with the standard pickle (achaar) spice mix. This is made on the stove using raw mango and can be prepared in within 45 minutes.
Keri Launji Recipe
- 3 tablespoons fennel seeds (saunf)
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon fenugreek seeds (methidana)
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 2 tablespoons salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 cup mustard oil
- ½ kg raw mango (keri)
- 100 grams green chilies
- Vinegar (optional)
- Coarsely ground the fennel seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and mustard seeds separately in either a spice grinder or a mortar pestle. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ground spices along with turmeric, red chili flakes, methidana, kalonji and salt. Mix together.
- Cut the raw mango (keri) into small cubes, and remove the seeds.
- Wash the green chilies and make a small slit in them. This is to ensure that they don’t burst open when added to hot oil.
- Heat mustard oil in a large frying pan or a wok.
- Add the cubed raw mango (keri) and fry till color changes.
- Add the green chilies. Fry for a minute and then add the spice mix.
- Stir together for a few minutes, and then turn heat to low. Cover and cook on simmer for 15 – 20 minutes till the raw mango (keri) is soft enough to eat.
- In the end, vinegar can be added as a preservative.
Note: This quick raw mango pickle needs to be kept in the fridge otherwise it may spoil.