10 Simple Natural Remedies for Headache Relief at Home
Headaches are caused by many reasons; blood vessels constricting, dehydration, neck or eye strain, and excessive smoking. Normally, people pop a few painkillers to get relief from the headache, but there are also many home remedies for headaches that won’t get you any more headaches. Try them out the next headache hits you.
1. Ginger Juice
There are several benefits of sipping ginger juice. However, ginger is also said to be a home remedy for instant relief from headaches. It lowers the amount of inflammation of the blood vessels in the head, which lessens the pain. Ginger also activates the digestive system which helps ease nausea which often goes hand in hand with migraines.
- For instant relief, just mix equal amounts of ginger juice and lemon juice with water and drink it once or twice a day.
2. Peppermint Oil
Another natural remedy for headaches is peppermint oil. Its fresh fragrance opens congested blood vessels which often cause migraine. Peppermint also has menthol in it which encourages blood flow in the body.
- All you need to do is add a tablespoon of water or almond oil to 3 drops of peppermint oil and massage the back of your neck and temples to it. You can also rub crushed peppermint leaves to your forehead.
3. Cinnamon Paste
Cinnamon has an amazing quality that it can alleviate headaches.
- All you need to do is grind some cinnamon sticks into a powder, and add water to it to turn it into a paste. Smooth it over your temples and forehead and keep it there for half an hour. Then wash it off with water.
Another natural home remedy for headaches is thyme.
- To relieve headache pain, dab a drop or two of thyme or rosemary essential oil on each temple and on your forehead.
- Rub gently into the skin and sit quietly for several minutes to let this home remedy work.
5. Simple Stretches
Another thing which can lessen the severity of a headache is a few basic stretches.
- Slowly move your head in a clockwise and anti-clockwise direction to help relax the neck and shoulder muscles.
- You can also rotate your chin in upward and downward, and left and right motions.
- So in case of a headache, here is a simple home remedy.
Cloves act as a natural headache remedy as well. This is due to their cooling and pain-relieving properties. You can use cloves in two ways.
- The first method is pouring a few drops of clove oil in a tablespoon of coconut oil, adding sea salt, and applying it to your forehead and temples.
- Or, you can gently crush a few cloves, place them on a small piece of cloth, and inhale the smell.
Basil is a herb that also acts as a natural headache remedy. Its oil works as both a muscle relaxant, and provides relief from headaches caused by stress and tense muscles.
- Just place 3 to 4 fresh basil leaves in a cup with boiling water and let it steep for a while.
- You could also add some honey to the drink for added health benefits.
- Alternatively, you could simply chew a few fresh basil leaves, or inhale its steam after boiling the leaves in water.
8. Apple Slices
Apples provide great help in lessening the intensity of headaches, because they help restore the acid-alkaline equilibrium in the body.
- Simply sprinkle slices of an apple with salt, and sip a glass of warm water afterwards.
9. Ice Pack or Hot Water
Another simple remedy is applying an ice pack to the back of your neck to give you some relief from your unbearable headache. The icy coldness helps lessen the swelling that might cause your migraine. It also slightly numbs the pain. However, heat also has a positive effect in relieving you from your headache.
- You should soak your feet in hot water or place a towel soaked in warm water on your forehead for 5 minutes.
While yoga is not a headache remedy, it does help prevent them. Due to its combination of breathing exercises, meditation, and physical postures, yoga will help stretch your muscles and focus your mind in such a way that it will help reduce tension, headaches from occurring.