7 Tips to Ease Wisdom Tooth Pain at Home
Wisdom teeth are actually your third set of molars, which anthropologists believe were evolution’s response to our ancient ancestor’s diet. Whether your wisdom tooth makes you wise or not is a separate matter for debate but your wisdom tooth gives you intense pain for sure! Your mouth can have four wisdom teeth, medically called molars, one at each corner. Your wisdom tooth or teeth may grow when you are anywhere between 16 and 25, and sometimes even later in life, in your 30s too. Read about the 7 tips to get rid of the wisdom tooth pain.
1. Clove For Wisdom Tooth Pain
• Within a couple of minutes, the cloves will release their essential oil into your mouth, and you will feel the area with clove going numb.
• As the whole spice becomes softer, chew it slowly to get even more clove oil from it.
• If you feel clove oil is too strong for your mouth, dilute it in ½ tsp of olive oil and then apply it to your aching tooth.
A little burning sensation may occur on applying clove oil into your mouth, if this sensation is in intense, immediately rinse your mouth with water.
2. Peppermint for Wisdom Tooth Pain
Peppermint is one of the oldest home remedies for toothache. Peppermint is anti-bacterial, anti-viral and has mild anesthetic properties too. You may use peppermint tea or peppermint oil to get relief from your wisdom tooth pain.
• Pour one cup of hot water over it.
• Let it steep for about 20 minutes during which it will cool down.
• If its lukewarm, it’s better but if it’s at normal temperature, that will also do.
• Take a mouthful of this peppermint tea and swish this around within your mouth.
• Spit the tea. Repeat.
3. Tea Tree Oil for Wisdom Tooth Pain
• If it feels very strong, dilute it with a little olive oil. You may use ½ tsp olive oil and mix 1-2 drops of tea tree oil with this.
• Now apply on the painful tooth with your finger tip or a cotton ball.
Do not swallow tea tree oil. If you feel any kind of irritation or discomfort similar to allergic reaction, rinse your mouth with water and see your doctor.
4. Ice Pack for Wisdom Tooth Pain
Using an ice pack on the side of your mouth that hurts because of the emerging and irritated wisdom tooth is an easy way to relieve inflammation and pain.
5. Baking Soda Paste
Using a baking soda paste also help reduce swelling of the troubled tooth and help reduce the pain.
• Apply this paste directly to the tooth that’s hurting and you are sure to notice relief.
6. Guava Leaves
Using guava leaves to get rid of wisdom tooth pain is one of the most natural ways.
• Remove the boiled leaves from the water and chew them for 30 seconds without swallowing.
• After 30 seconds, spit the leaves out, and you’ll notice a relief with the wisdom tooth pain.
You can also use the boiled guava leaf water with a pinch of salt added, like a mouthwash, which will give you a similar relief.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is an amazing home remedy for wisdom tooth pain.
• Place the soaked cotton ball directly onto the tooth that is giving you trouble and let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
You’ll find that while this method doesn’t necessarily taste the best, it does wonders for quickly getting rid of that uncomfortable pain that comes with emerging wisdom teeth.