5 Home Remedies for Treating Hair Dye Allergies
Whether you are dyeing your hair to cover the grays or just experimenting with a new look, if you end up with an allergic reaction, you are eventually going to hate it!
An allergic reaction on your head can be really annoying. After all, you missed out on the ‘patch test’ instructions, and now you regret big time. But you can reflect on all that later because right now you must do something to fix your hair dye allergies.
Here’s the good news: we have compiled some of the best and most effective home remedies for hair dye allergies:
Lemon works as a natural astringent and antiseptic that can help calm aggravated skin. Combining it with yogurt creates a soothing effect on the scalp.
- Add 4 tablespoons yogurt and 1 teaspoon lemon juice in a small bowl and mix well until combined.
- Apply this mixture on your scalp – especially the affected areas.
- Let it sit for at least 30 minutes before washing it off using a mild shampoo.
Apply 2-3 times a week for best results.
Baking soda is a must-have for every household. It’s amazing how it can help with so many things including treating hair dye allergies.
- Combine 1 tablespoon water with 1 tablespoon baking soda to form a paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected area on the scalp and let it dry for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse it out with cold water.
Repeat the procedure 1-2 times in a week.
Aloe vera has been commonly used for scalp treatment for centuries. Its natural healing properties help cleanse the affected areas and help you calm hair dye allergies.
- All you need is 1 tablespoon of freshly scooped out aloe vera gel and apply it gently on the affected areas using your fingertips.
- Let the gel sit for almost 20 minutes before rinsing it off with cold water.
Do this twice a week for best results.
The more you learn about this magical oil, the more you will fall in love with it. Coconut oil has become the Holy Grail product in every house. Whether it’s about skin care, hair care, or treating hair dye allergies, you know you can count on coconut oil.
- Using your fingertips, apply coconut oil to your scalp and hair.
- Leave it overnight if possible or at least let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Allow the cooling and antibacterial properties of coconut oil to penetrate your scalp and help it heal completely.
- Wash using a mild shampoo with cold water.
Repeat 2-3 times every week.
Another great oil with natural anti-bacterial properties to your rescue! Applying olive oil to your scalp can effectively help you cleanse the affected area.
- Take 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat until it’s a little warm.
- Apply and massage on your scalp, especially the affected areas.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes or overnight if possible.
- Wash with a mild shampoo.
Repeat 2-3 times a week for desirable results.
While these simple home remedies can really help you deal with hair dye allergies, it’s best always to do a patch test when dying your hair to prevent such a problem.