Suicide is the act of finishing off one’s own life. It is usually a reaction to stressful life situations. It’s tragic because it is something that can be prevented. It is important for everyone to have some degree of awareness about the warning signs of suicidal ideation, as this way they can recognize these signs in themselves, as well as in people they are close to, and seek immediate help.
Mostly, suicidal thoughts occur, because the person has the feeling that they can’t cope with the situation they’re facing. This happens because the person has no hope for the future and they think that suicide is the only solution.
The following are some of the warning signs found in a person considering suicide.
- Talking about suicide
- Getting the means to carry out suicide
- Withdrawing from social contact
- Having severe mood swings
- Being preoccupied with death
- Feeling trapped or hopeless about a situation
- Increasing the use of alcohol and drugs
- Changing normal routine
- Doing risky, self-destructive things
- Developing personality changes
- Giving away belongings
- Saying goodbyes as if it’s the last time
These signs vary with respect to every person and are not always obvious.
Diagnosis of suicidal ideation can be made by staying vigilant about the warning signs. However a physician can make the diagnosis by assessment of the mental and physical health of the patient, as well as by assessing the drug and alcohol status of the patient.
Treatment plan of the patient depends on the urgency of the situation. If you’re at immediate risk of harming yourself, notify the police, or a hospital emergency room.
For non-emergent situations, some of the following therapies can help:
- Addiction treatment
- Family support and education