The Pakistani version of a fruit salad, fruit chaat is a popular item on the iftar table in Ramazan. It is made using seasonal fresh fruits, with spicy chaat masala and lemon or orange juice.
- 2 apples, cubed
- 2 mangoes, cubed
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 2 peaches, cubed
- 2 – 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Lemon zest, from one lemon
- 4 tablespoons sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1 – 2 teaspoon chaat masala (adjust to taste)
- Cherries, for garnish
- Wash and cut the apples in cubes. Sprinkle lemon juice on apples so that they don’t brown. Apples can be peeled or unpeeled, based on personal preference.
- Wash, peel and cut the mangoes in cubes. Set aside.
- Peel and slice the bananas. Set aside.
- Wash, peel and cut the peaches in cubes. Set aside.
- Put all the cut up fruit in a large glass bowl. Add lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar and chaat masala. Mix well, and adjust spices accordingly.
- Garnish with cherries and more chaat masala on top.
Image Credits: paka dey