5 Refreshing Summer Salads You should Really Try!
With the hot weather surrounding Karachi, it’s probably bringing the summertime sadness to all the food lovers. With the Ramadan month, it becomes hard to keep food on the lighter side when you’re only able to eat at certain hours. It has even become harder for those that lived on salads. No matter the circumstances, here are 5 fun summer salad recipes you can enjoy at any meal regardless of the time.
1. Watermelon, Olive and Feta Salad
- 250 gm watermelon rectangular pieces
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 stalk spring onions
- 6-7 black olives
- 50 gm feta cheese
- Black salt to taste
- 1 tsp parsley (chopped)
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/3 tsp oregano leaves
- A pinch of lemon zest a pinch
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- Peel and cut water melon into rectangular pieces or chunks however you prefer them.
- Season with soy sauce and black salt.
- Slice the spring onions thin.
- Chop the olives.
- Crumble feta cheese.
- Cut the tomato into small chunks and sprinkle chaat masala with sugar.
- Prepare a dressing by whisking together olive oil, oregano, lemon juice and zest, in a mixing bowl, olives, spring onions, tomatoes, feta, with the dressing.
- Season to taste.
2. Strawberry and Orange Salad with Citrus Syrup and Fresh Mint
- 10-15 strawberries, hulled and halved (or quartered if very large)
- 3 oranges
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, add more to taste
- 21/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint, to garnish
- Place the strawberries into a serving bowl.
- Cut a slice off the top and bottom of each orange so they sit flat on a cutting board.
- Using a sharp knife, work your way around the fruits to remove all the skin and pith.
- Cupping the orange in one hand and working over the serving bowl, carefully cut the segments out from between the membranes. (Be sure to cut only until you reach the middle of the fruit!)
- Over a separate small bowl, firmly squeeze the remaining peel to release all the orange juice.
- Add lemon juice and brown sugar to the freshly squeezed orange juice and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour over the strawberries and orange segments and gently toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with fresh mint. Taste, and add more lemon juice if necessary (the syrup should have a perfect balance of tart and sweet).
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to six hours.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint and serve in shallow bowls with spoons.
3. Cucumber, Black Olive and Mint Salad
- 3 medium cucumbers, peeled and cut in chunks
- Sea salt to season (you can use normal salt too)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of sugar
- 8-9 large olives
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- Cracked black pepper to season
- Mint leaves to garnish
- 1 tomato
- Put the chunks of cucumber in a bowl with sea salt, pinch of sugar and lime juice.
- In a blender add the pitted black olives, olive oil and cracked black pepper.
- Blend this into a nice puree.
- Add tomato chunks to the cucumbers and mix with the black olive puree.
- Garnish with mint and chopped olives.
4. Papaya Salad
- 3 cups raw papaya-peeled and grated
- 1 Tbsp salt or to taste
- 1 Tbsp ginger-chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp powdered black pepper
- 1 cup onions-chopped fine
- Green chilies-chopped fine to taste
- 1 Tbsp soya sauce
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice or to taste
- 1 cup coriander leaves-chopped
- 1 cup peanuts-roasted and coarsely pounded
- Take a bowl, add finely peeled and grated papaya to it.
- Then add salt and pepper for taste.
- Add chopped onions, ginger and green chilies.
- Then add soya sauce and lemon juice.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Chill and transfer on to a serving bowl, garnish with roasted peanuts, coriander leaves and serve.
5. Mango and Cheese Salad
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled
- 175 gm fresh mozzarella
- 2-3 lettuce
For Salad Dressing:
- 2-3 fresh parsley sprigs
- 2-3 fresh red chilies, sliced diagonally
- 6-7 fresh basil leaves
- Sea salt to taste (or regular salt)
- Crushed black peppercorns to taste
- 2 tsp pesto sauce
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Finely chop parsley sprigs and place it in a bowl.
- Finely chop red chilies and place in the same bowl.
- Finely chop basil leaves and add salt, crushed peppercorns, pesto sauce, lemon juice and balsamic vinegar, and mix well.
- Add orange juice, olive oil, and whisk well.
- Halve mozzarella and place it in another bowl.
- Add 2 teaspoon dressing and mix lightly, set aside.
- Cut mangoes into chunks and place them on a serving.
- Add lettuce and cheese over it.
- Pour the remaining dressing all over.
- Serve chilled. Read More..