Reasons Salads Make Great Meals
Cutting down bad and unnecessary carbohydrates from your daily diet is one good habit on the way to achieve a healthy life style. A good diet includes portions of meals which constitute nutrients in decent proportions. While cutting down the fatty foods, it is important that you incorporate a good amount of healthy salads to your daily diet plan. Here are a few great reasons why you should eat salads regularly:
- Salads are one good source of all the vitamins, proteins, minerals and other vital nutrients. Salads on one hand provide a wholesome snack and also cut down on your consumption of fats and carbohydrates. Salads are always a healthy snack which you can take on the go. Easy to prepare and easy to digest, these are the road to your healthy lifestyle.
- Adding leafy greens to your salads is a big step to making your salad even more healthy and lively at the same time too. These leafy greens, when added to your salads often provide for a great nutritional value along with a good crunch making your salad look a lot more fresh and appetizing. The greens might include iceberg lettuce, spinach, romaine, red leaf, and arugula.
- All of these have good amounts of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K and iron. These greens have a lot of water contents too, which is why they look so fresh and when you eat them you feel light. These greens taste well too. Some people with the habit of not eating vegetables might have difficulty eating them but they soon develop a taste for them once they start eating them.
- The salad greens do more good to you when they are darker and open leaved instead of the ones which are light colored and tightly packed. Hence a good dark, crisp open leaved green would make your salad more nutritious and healthy to eat. While picking the salad greens make sure that you are buying the fresher ones. The ones which have darker and open leaves would be fresher.
- These salad greens might also be stored in a refrigerator for three or four days and would remain fresh. Thus buying a fresh stock is helpful since it lasts longer and can be consumed over the period of time. Spinach contains a large amount of vitamin K, a good amount of vitamin A and thus seems to be the winning salad green. So when you see Popeye popping in spinach that wasn’t really wrong.
- Spinach is quite a good healthy green and would definitely make your salad nutrition peak higher. Romaine and red leaf are also very healthy salad green which once added to salad provides for the great nutritional value. These salad greens are healthy and can also be used not only in the salads but also in sandwiches and pastas too.
- These healthy appetizers are a must have and must be incorporated in daily meals. These boost up your metabolism helping in weight loss. Apart from weight loss these are a great source of nutrients which allow proper growth of your body and help t to nourish all the vital organs of the body. To make the salad even healthier, include tomatoes, cucumbers, and broccoli.
To get your protein on, you can add in kidney beans. The greens are not the only important aspects of a salad. Sure, you need to create a good base, but healthy fats are important for the nutrients in the greens and other veggies to absorb when eaten. Healthy fats include nuts, avocadoes or a spoon of extra-virgin olive oil. Just don’t overdo it on the fats! Although salads are one of the healthiest options for meals, they can still accumulate into calories. So use greens, other veggies and fats sparingly.