Kaleji or mutton liver is a popular dish served for breakfast and even lunch on Baqra-Eid. Make this quick gravy style recipe and serve hot with parathas or tandoori naan.
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 1 piece mutton liver, chopped (about 300 – 350 grams)
- 2 teaspoons ginger garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tablespoons yoghurt
- 2 green chilies, sliced
- Coriander, for garnish
- Heat oil. Add onions and cook till light golden brown. Make sure they don’t burn.
- Add chopped mutton liver, followed by ginger garlic paste. Saute till the liver changes from pink to brown.
- Add spices, followed by tomatoes. Cook for about 5 – 10 minutes till the tomatoes soften and can be mashed through.
- Add yoghurt, and cook on low flame till the liver is tender. Don’t cook for too long, as the liver can turn rubbery.
- Add green chilies, and cook for another minute.
- Garnish with coriander.