We’ve all heard of the many health benefits of eating a coconut or drinking fresh coconut water, so it should come as no surprise that coconut milk is also an equally beneficial member of the family. Coconut milk is present in the flesh of the fruit, but unlike coconut water, it does not readily come out and needs to be extracted. Mature coconuts are the best source of coconut milk. With time the water inside the fruit is absorbed in the meat and the meat can be blended and strain to extract the white layer of ‘milk’ that comes to the surface. This liquid is strained through cheesecloth and repeating this process makes it thinner. Coconut milk is used in deserts, smoothies and anywhere as a good vegan alternative to dairy products.
Coconut milk has numerous saturated fatty acids because of which many people believe it to be unhealthy and fattening. In reality however, the opposite is true. Coconut milk can help decrease cholesterol and blood pressure. It is also used in many cosmetics due to its hydrating properties. Given below are 10 ways in which coconut benefits your hair, skin and health.
- Coconut milk helps lower blood pressure and cholesterol and improves heart health. Coconut milk can help maintain a good blood flow throughout the body by keeping the blood vessels elastic and dilated. It also prevents plaque formation and improves the body’s lipid profile. Magnesium contained in coconut milk may help prevent stress and muscle tension as well as aiding in circulation and keeping muscles relaxed which is imperative in preventing heart attacks.
- It is rich in lauric acid, which has anti bacterial and anti viral properties that help maintain the body’s immune system and fight infections.
- It can help manage diabetes. Coconut milk provides a better alternate source of sweetener as compared to sugar and it is frequently used in many deserts. It also regulates the release of insulin in the body, hence maintaining optimum blood sugar levels.
- Aids in digestion and relieves constipation. Coconut milk hydrates the digested matter in the gut, thereby making its passage smoother and giving bulk to the fecal matter. It is especially goof for IBS and people with chronic constipation.
- Provides a good plant base alternative to dairy. It is especially good for people with lactose intolerance, people trying to cut down on dairy and for vegans who don’t take cow milk as a part of their lifestyle.
- Coconut milk is a great source of iron and magnesium. Iron in it can help prevent and even treat anemia. Magnesium is helpful in the repair and growth of muscles that may be damaged.
- The fatty acids in coconut milk have antiseptic properties that can help prevent conditions like dandruff, itchy skin and infections.
- The fat in it also acts a natural moisturizer that can hydrate the skin and prevent aging and sagging of the skin.
- Coconut milk may also help lose weight. According to some studies, it helps increase energy expenditure which readily breaks down long chain fatty acids in the body.
- It can help prevent inflammation and arthritis by providing a good alternative to sugar which is a pro inflammatory and increases swelling and pain.
Image Credits: google