Vegetable Spring Rolls
This oriental snack is a popular snack food in Pakistan. It is found in many Chinese restaurants across the country, served as an appetizer at parties or eaten with evening tea. Make this crunchy snack with a delicious filling of vegetables and noodles.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 garlic, finely sliced
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 capsicum, sliced
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup noodles, boiled
- ¼ cup spring onions
- 2 – 3 tablespoons flour
- Water, as required
- 1 packet spring roll wrappers
- Boil 1 cup noodles as per packet instructions and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan or wok.
- Add sliced garlic and saute till light brown.
- Add onions and saute till translucent.
- Add carrots, followed by capsicum and cabbage.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes then add the salt, black pepper, red chili flakes, soya sauce, vinegar and boiled noodles.
- Mix together, and then add the spring onions. Don’t overcook the vegetables as they will turn mushy and soft otherwise.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if required. Set aside the spring roll filling.
- Mix flour and water to make a paste to close the spring rolls.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of filling in the spring roll, and seal with the flour paste. Make sure that the spring rolls are completely closed from all sides.
- Deep fry in oil till crispy and golden.
Note: The spring rolls can also be kept in the freezer and fried when needed.