Chicken Jalfrezi is a mix of Pakistani and Chinese cuisine. It’s a mildly spiced tomato based gravy with boneless chicken, onions and capsicum seasoned with Desi spices.
For Chicken Marinade:
- 500 gm boneless chicken, cut into large chunks
- 1 tablespoon yoghurt
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
For Jalfrezi Gravy:
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chili, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, cut into cubes
- green capsicum, cut in cubes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons coriander
- Place the chicken in a bowl. Add yoghurt, ginger garlic paste, salt and red chili powder. Marinate for about 1 – 2 hours.
- Heat oil in a pan and add ginger garlic paste. Add the green chilies, followed by tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir for a few minutes till the tomatoes soften, and oil separates.
- Turn heat to medium, and add the marinated chicken pieces. Cook for about 3 – 4 minutes till chicken changes color. Add the capsicum and onion, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add water, and cover the lid. Cook on low heat till the chicken is cooked through.
- Take off lid, and then add lemon juice followed by coriander.
- Serve hot with rice.