Poisoning refers to an injury or death caused by inhaling, ingesting, injecting, or touching various chemicals, drugs, venoms, or gases. Some substances need to be in high concentrations to be poisonous.
Poisoning can either be accidental or intentional. Some of the following causes are listed below:
- Accidentally inhaling fumes
- Accidentally ingesting poisonous liquid by mistaking it for something else
- Accidentally coming in contact with a poisonous substance
- Suicide attempt
- Homicide attempt
The signs and symptoms of this condition may include:
- Burns or redness around the mouth and lips
- Smell of chemicals from breath
- Difficulty breathing
- Altered mental status
These signs and symptoms can mimic other conditions as well. Hence it is significant to be vigilant and identify these symptoms early.
The diagnosis of poisoning is made urgently by medical history, signs, and symptoms.
To treat the poisoning, a few of the following measures are instantly taken:
- Gastric lavage
- Oxygen therapy
- Rinsing the contaminated area