Food is one of the most memorable aspects of any event, especially at weddings. People might forget the fancy table arrangements which probably took you hours of painstaking work to organize, but they’ll definitely remember how delicious your menu was.
If you’re a health-conscious couple looking for ideas on how to create an unforgettable menu of healthy dishes, we’ve got you covered. Below are five healthy foods that you can serve at your Brisbane wedding reception and become the talk of the town. These ideas work for both a relaxed outdoor wedding as they do for a formal, sit-down menu.
For starters we thought we’d go with something fresh and light yet delicious and exciting to the taste-buds. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Seafood salad: There are many different ways of preparing and serving a seafood salad. You could hire a Jamaican chef to make conch salad for your beach wedding reception and transport your guests to the Caribbean with their taste buds.
Or you could combine favorites like calamari, shrimp, octopus and mussels topped with lemon and extra virgin olive oil. Simple and to the point. What we love about this combination is that it allows you to enjoy the natural fresh flavors of the sea without overpowering the meal with spices and condiments. Plus, this option is filled with healthy and organic omega 3 oils that are good for mental and physical health.
- Roasted potato cups bursting with guacamole. Filling, delicious and easy on the eye too.
- Samosa bites: You could never go wrong with this one. Just make it healthier by using filo pastry and brushing it with canola oil instead of butter.
- Vegetarian stuffed grape leaves: This Assyrian inspired dish is commonly known as “prakhe” among the locals. It generally consists of stuffed leaves or vegetables and they come in all types of different variations. This particular version uses fresh grape leaves stuffed with a mixture of mushrooms, medium grain rice, onions, walnuts, salsa, as well as several herbs and spices. This unique dish will definitely get your guests talking and everyone will love the delicious flavor combinations.
- Raw fig and blackberry tart: If you’re looking for something unique and adventurous to serve for dessert at your wedding, this is it. This raw fig and blackberry tart is not too sweet and will definitely be a crowd pleaser among the young and old.
Extra tips for Wedding Reception!
- Make sure to source your produce from a local farm, as eating local means fresher food with more flavor and no chemicals. By all means opt for a cater that’s partnered with a local farm or two, or at least make sure they’re purchasing their ingredients from a local farmer’s market.
- Although uncommon, some couples opt to refrain from sodas from their menu in lieu of healthier options like ‘mocktails’ and smoothie/ juice bars. It’s also important to ensure that there’s enough drinkable fresh water available to keep your guests hydrated throughout.
- You’re not alone in your search of healthy wedding reception menu options. Pinterest’s Wedding Report from 2018 states that searches for vegan wedding options went up by a whopping 186% last year! So there’s more than enough inspiration out there for vegan and non-vegan brides that want to create a healthy wedding reception menu that caters to everyone.
In a Nutshell…
Just because you’re serving vegan or vegetarian foods doesn’t mean that your menu should be boring. Nowadays, there are plenty of vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options that you can try to provide healthy options for all your guests. Just Google any of the healthy food options we featured in this article and you’ll find plenty of recipe options to choose from.
Trust us, you’ll feel that much better when you know that everyone at your reception has their dietary needs met. The best part is that everyone will feel energized and ready to hit the dance floor because they ate satiating but light dishes that aren’t too hard to digest. Here’s to having a healthy and fun wedding filled with laughter!