Baingan bharta or mashed eggplant is a delicious vegetarian recipe made by grilling eggplant to infuse it with smoky flavor. The smoked eggplant is then mashed and then mixed with tomatoes, onions and coriander.
- 2 medium or 1 large eggplant
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, sliced
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 green chili, sliced
- 1 cup tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves, for garnish
- Rinse the eggplants in water, and dry with a kitchen towel. Apply oil, and then roast on an open flame.
- Keep turning so that it is roasted all over, and soft from the inside. Check if the eggplant is done by inserting a knife. If the knife slides in easily, it is cooked through.
- Peel the skin from the roasted eggplant, and take it out in a bowl. Mash with a fork or finely chop and set it aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, and add sliced garlic.
- Once the garlic is light brown, add onions.
- Once the onion is translucent, add green chilies and tomatoes.
- Cook the tomatoes till the oil starts separating from the mixture. Add water to make sure the tomatoes don’t stick to the bottom.
- Add red chili powder, salt followed by the roasted and mashed eggplant.
- Add water, and stir the mashed eggplant with the tomato mixture and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot.
Image Credits: google