8 Reasons to Eat “Saunf” Right Now!
Every desi house hold has a small container somewhere in the living room or may be on the kitchen counter, or just by the bed side table that has saunf. Sometimes paired with other ingredients, other times eaten alone; it is a common practice to have some fennel seeds or saunf after every meal. If you think saunf is just to freshen up your breath, think again! It can do a lot more than just acting as a breath freshener.
Here is why you should chew saunf (fennel seeds) after every meal.
1. For Indigestion
Fennel being a good tasting and smelling ingredient is often eaten after meals. This increases salivary production, hence increasing the gastric acid production in the stomach, making digestion easier.
2. Helps Remedy Constipation
Fennel is good to treat constipation. 100 g seeds provide 39.8 g of fiber. Much of this roughage metabolically inert insoluble fiber, which helps increase bulk of the food by absorbing water throughout the digestive system and easing constipation problems.
3. Protects from Anaemia
Fennel seeds are a good source of iron which helps with the formation of red blood cells. Saunf when consumed, increases the iron content in your body, which helps in the production of haemoglobin. Therefore, saunf eaten on regular basis can help keep you from the ill effects of anaemis.
4. Helps Regulate Blood Pressure
Saunf is a good source of nitrate, and nitrate found in fennel seeds is important to maintain the blood pressure. Saunf also has large amount of potassium that helps control the heart rate and the blood pressure.
5. Keeps Your Skin Healthy and Prevents Acne
Saunf is packed with antioxidant and antibacterial properties, and is also great for your skin. Applying a solution made with fennel seeds help keep your skin clean and clear and acne free. It also keeps your skin healthy, toned and wrinkle-free and prevents other signs of ageing.
6. Boosts Metabolism and Helps Lose weight
Fresh fennel works as a natural fat buster by boosting the metabolism and breaking down fats. Being a diuretic, fennel seeds also help prevent weight gain that is commonly caused by water retention.
One simple way to facilitate weight loss with this herb is to dry roast, grind and sieve fennel seeds and consume one-half teaspoon of the powder with warm water twice daily.
7. Eases Menstrual Problems
Menstrual issues are common especially due to increased stress levels and unbalanced diet. Fennel seeds have properties that regulate the menstrual flow. Saunf also has phytoestrogens that help with premenstrual syndrome, breast enlargement and menopausal disorders.
8. Keeps Cancer at Bay
Manganese is found in fennel seeds in large amount. The great thing about this mineral is that it fights cancer! This mineral is used by your body as a co-factor to produce the powerful anti-oxidant enzyme superoxide dismutase which keeps cancer at bay.
How to Consume Saunf?
Besides chewing bits of saunf every now and then, there are a few other ways to consume this amazing herb:
- Boil a few fennel seeds in water till the water changes colour. You can drink this as a green tea, it will aid digestion and act as a great antioxidant. This mixture will also help relieve menstrual pain.
- For the leftover mixture: Cool the mixture and use it as a toner. All you have to do is apply it on your face, leave it for 15 minutes and then wash it off with room temperature water. This will help clear acne from your skin if done daily.
- Gargling and swishing boiled fennel water will help with swollen gums and bad breath. As fennel water has antibacterial properties, it can help fight swelling of the gums.