Are you looking for a fun way to shed a few pounds? We have just the solution for you. If you enjoy heading to the pool for some recreational time, you will enjoy the pool exercises that we have listed down for you in this article. Sometimes attending the same old fitness classes and gym studios can get monotonous and tiring. Change things up a little with these fun pool exercises. With the alteration in pace and movement, your body will also feel the challenge and burn more fat than it normally would. So the next time you head out to the swimming pool, keep the following 4 exercises in mind:
This exercise is to be performed with the support of the sides of the pool:
- Pick one side of the pool and face the pool wall. Place your feet on the wall.
- Run your legs up the side of the pool and then back down again.
- Use your arms to stabilize your upper body.
- Repeat the movements at least four times.
Turn Up The Cardio
For this exercise make sure that the pool is not too crowded. You will need to utilize the entire length of the pool so the fewer the number of people the better.
- Run from one end of the pool to the next in a zigzag fashion. This movement will generate currents in the water.
- Now run back through the same currents that you created but this time run in a straight line.
- Perform warm-up exercises before this exercise and cool-down exercises afterwards. This exercise is quite intense so giving your muscles sometime to prepare for it will make it easier to perform.
- Give a gap of 3-5 minutes before you repeat the exercise.
The Balancing Act
This exercise will enhance your balance and stability. Perform the steps with focus and full attention.
- Perform the exercise at waist-deep water level.
- Lift your left leg and bend the knee. Try to make sure that your thigh is parallel to the pool floor.
- Place your hands by your sides and keep your right leg firmly in place on the floor.
- Maintain the position for 1 minute.
- Then turn your left knee to the side and hold the position for 1 minute.
- Then place your left foot on the pool floor and repeat the sequence with your right leg.
This exercise is an excellent tool for enhancing core strength. For this exercise you will need one simply prop: an inflated ball with a 6 inch diameter at least. The instructions are as follows:
- Perform a regular lunge. All you have to do is step forward with your right leg, bend the right knee, and stretch out your left foot behind you.
- Hold the ball with both hands and place it in front of your navel. Keep your arms straight and stretched out.
- Keep your shoulders down and push them back gently.
- Hold the pose for at least 30 seconds.
- Repeat the exercise but this time put the left leg forward instead of the right leg.
Water based exercises can be more challenging because one has to carry out the movements against the push of the water. However, they are less likely to cause joint or muscle injuries than other non-water based exercises. These exercises are also an excellent way to improve your stamina and natural balance. If you have faced difficulty performing exercises in the past due to a physical health concern, do not perform these pool exercises without your doctor’s consent.