Aloo Qeema is a regular at the Pakistani dinner table. It’s made using mince meat (can be either beef or chicken), with potatoes in a dry gravy. Serve hot with naan and kachumber salad.
Aloo Qeema Recipe
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- Whole Spices / Sabitgaram masala – 3 cloves, 1 inch cinnamon stick, 4-5 black peppercorns & 1-2 cardamom pods
- 600 gram beef mince
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 – 3 medium potatoes, halved or quartered
- ½ cup water
- 2-3 green chillies, for garnish
- ½ cup coriander leaves, for garnish
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add chopped onions and fry till light golden.
- Add sabitgaram masala (whole spices) and fry for a minute till they splutter.
- Add the mince meat (chicken or beef) along with ginger & garlic paste. Cook on medium – high heat for a few minutes till the colour changes.
- Add the dry spices (coriander powder, salt, turmeric & red chili powder). Keep stirring for 2-3 minutes to let the spices cook.
- Turn heat to low – medium and add tomatoes. Let them cook for 10 – 15 minutes till soft and water dries.
- Add the potatoes with ½ cup water. Let cook till potatoes are tender.
- Take off heat. Garnish with green chillies and fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with roti and an onions & mint pickled salad.