Team HTV Apr 13 2017
Shepherd’s Pie is a British classic with a layer of mincemeat, vegetables topped with creamy mashed potatoes. This version uses a touch of red chili flakes to give it a Desi kick.
- ½ kg potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 1 egg
- ½ cup cream
- Salt and black pepper (to taste)
- Red chili flakes (to taste)
- ¼ cup oil
- 300 grams beef mince (chicken mince can be substituted instead)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 capsicum chopped
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup peas
- ¼ cup sweet corn
- Boil potatoes in salted water until tender. Potatoes are cooked through when a knife can easily pass through the flesh.
- Add cream, egg, salt, pepper and red chili flakes to taste.
- Mash the potatoes until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if required. Set aside.
- While the potatoes are boiling, prepare the beef mince mixture.
- Heat oil in a medium sized pan.
- Add beef mince and saute on high heat till beef changes color.
- Turn heat to medium and add onion, carrot and capsicum. Cook vegetables with meat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add butter, flour and chicken stock to the beef mixture. Keep stirring constantly, and the mixture will thicken up. Add Worcestershire sauce, along with salt and pepper.
- Add peas and sweet corn. Cook for about 5 minutes till beef is tender.
- Pour the beef mixture in an oven-safe casserole dish. Spoon the potatoes over the meat evenly making sure the edges are covered as the gravy can bubble up from the edges.
- Garnish with red chili flakes.
- Put in the oven and broil for about 5-10 minutes until potatoes are browned from the top.
Image Credits: google