Hari Chatni and Vegetable Sandwich
These hari chutney or green chutney sandwiches are filled with a spicy coriander chutney, potatoes, tomatoes and onions. Butter is spread on both sides, after which the sandwiches are grilled till golden and crispy. It’s a simple vegetarian recipe that is a delicious snack to have with tea, at a picnic or when hosting a tea party for friends and family.
- 1 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 – 2 green chilies (adjust to spice preference)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Water, as required
- 10 slices of white bread
- 1 medium potato; peeled, boiled and sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 4 tablespoon butter (or as required)
- Chaat masala powder, for garnish
- Add coriander, garlic, green chilies lemon juice and water in a blender. Blend till a smooth paste is formed. Set the chutney aside.
- Prepare vegetables for the filling of the sandwiches. Wash, peel and boil the potato. Slice thinly and set aside. Thinly slice the cucumbers and tomatoes as well.
- Start making the green chutney sandwiches by first spreading chutney on the bottom slice.
- Fill with sliced tomatoes, boiled and sliced potatoes and/or sliced cucumbers.
- Top with bread slice and spread butter on top of the slices.
- Heat a large frying pan or grill and place the green chutney sandwich butter side down.
- Spread butter on the top side of the sandwiches, and grill the sandwiches till crisp and golden on both sides.
- Serve hot with chaat masala and green chutney on the side.
Note: The filling of the sandwiches can be adjusted as per personal preference. Shredded or grilled chicken can be added for the meat lovers. Other vegetables that can be added include onions, olives or jalapenos.
Image Credits: paka dey