Growing up, one of our favorite snacks was getting garma-garam chicken patties from the bakery next door. Get the same Pakistani bakery style flavor by making this chicken patties recipe at home. Keep a batch in the freezer to quickly bake when there are unexpected guests.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ – ¾ cup milk
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chicken, boiled and shredded
- Flour for dusting
- 250 grams puff pastry
- Egg, for egg wash
- Heat butter on low heat.
- Add finely chopped onion and saute till translucent.
- Add garlic paste and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Add flour and cook for about 30 seconds – 1 minute, till the raw flavor dissipates.
- Add ½ cup milk and keep whisking till thick. If necessary, add more milk. The whisking is necessary to ensure no lumps.
- Add salt, pepper and boiled chicken. Mix well.
- Take mixture off heat and let it cool down completely.
- Pre-heat oven to 200 C.
- Sprinkle flour on your work surface. Roll out puff pastry till desired thickness.
- Cut out circles with a round cookie cutter or steel glass. Each chicken patty requires two rounds.
- Put a teaspoon of chicken filling in the middle of the round.
- Put egg wash around the edges and place another round on top.
- Press down, and make designs with a fork. Roll out the remaining puff pastry, and repeat the process.
- Place on a greased or lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven till risen and golden brown from top. This will take around 25 – 30 minutes.
Note: The chicken patties can be made in advance and stored in the freezer. Just take them out and bake them directly, adding about 10 minutes to the normal baking time.
Image Credits: paka dey