Aloo chaat is a popular Indian street food item made with fried potatoes, after which other condiments and other spices are added. You will love the spicy and sour flavor of this delicious recipe.
- ½ kg potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 cup oil, for frying
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, sliced
- 1 teaspoon roasted and crushed coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Ginger, julienne, for garnish
- Peel and cut the potatoes in small cubes. Use a kitchen towel, and dry the potatoes thoroughly.
- Sprinkle cornflour on the potatoes, and use a spoon to mix it together.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, and fry the potatoes on medium heat till they are golden brown on the outside and cooked from inside.
- The potatoes need to be cooked through, so make sure the flame is not too high.
- Take a separate frying pan and dry roast the coriander seeds. Make sure the coriander doesn’t burn.
- Place the toasted coriander seeds in a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder. Ground till powder is formed. Set aside.
- Place the fried potatoes in a large glass bowl. Add onion, green chili, 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, chaat masala and red chili powder. Mix through. Add salt and lemon juice to taste.
- Garnish with ginger julienne, and fresh coriander.
Image Credits: paka dey