Pyaaz Pakora or Onion Pakroas
Pakoras or fritters is a popular fried snack in Pakistan. This is the classic vegetarian pakora made with onions, coriander and chilies in a spicy gramflour (besan) batter and fried till golden and crispy. Serve hot with chutney or ketchup.
- 2 cups gramflour (besan)
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Water, as required
- ½ cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 – 3 green chilies, chopped (adjust to taste)
- Chaat masala, for garnish
- In a large bowl add gramflour (besan), salt, coriander powder, red chili powder, coriander seeds and baking soda. Add water to make a thick batter. Set aside for at least 30 – 45 minutes.
- Just before frying add chopped coriander, onions and green chilies. Mix well. The batter should be thick enough to make pakoras (fritters). If it is too thin, add a little more gramflour (besan) and if it is too thick add water to fix the consistency.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, karahi or wok. Use a tablespoon to drop dollops of the batter in the frying pan.
- Fry the pakoras till golden and crispy on both sides.
- Remove on a kitchen towel and serve hot.
- Sprinkle chaat masala on the top and serve with chutney or ketchup.