MatarPulao is a simple vegetarian dish that can be eaten on its own or served with delicious Pakistani gravies. Keep a bag of frozen peas in the freezer to make this pulao dish even more quickly.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole spices (cinnamon, green and black cardamom, cloves, black pepper)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- ¾ cup peas
- 1 cup basmati rice, soaked
- 2 – 2 ½ cups water
- 2 green chilies
- Salt, to taste
- Wash basmati rice till water runs clear. Soak the rice for about 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In the meanwhile, heat oil in a pot.
- Add cumin seeds, followed by whole spices and bay leaf. Saute for about a minute till the flavor is released from spices.
- Add onion, and cook till light golden and caramelized.
- Add tomatoes, and cook for a couple of minutes till the tomatoes are soft.
- Add the peas and cook for 2 minutes, and then add the soaked & drained rice.
- Stir 2-3 times and then add water.
- Bring the water to a boil, and then turn heat to low.
- Cover the pot and keep cooking on low heat till the water is absorbed and rice is cooked (about 15 minutes). In case more water is required, add a few more tablespoons of water.