Growing up, one of our favorite snacks was getting garma-garam chicken patties from the bakery next door. Get the same Pakistani bakery style flavor by making this chicken patties recipe at home. Keep a batch in the freezer to quickly bake when there are unexpected guests.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ – ¾ cup milk
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chicken, boiled and shredded
- Flour for dusting
- 250 grams puff pastry
- Egg, for egg wash
- Heat butter on low heat.
- Add finely chopped onion and saute till translucent.
- Add garlic paste and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Add flour and cook for about 30 seconds – 1 minute, till the raw flavor dissipates.
- Add ½ cup milk and keep whisking till thick. If necessary, add more milk. The whisking is necessary to ensure no lumps.
- Add salt, pepper and boiled chicken. Mix well.
- Take mixture off heat and let it cool down completely.
- Pre-heat oven to 200 C.
- Sprinkle flour on your work surface. Roll out puff pastry till desired thickness.
- Cut out circles with a round cookie cutter or steel glass. Each chicken patty requires two rounds.
- Put a teaspoon of chicken filling in the middle of the round.
- Put egg wash around the edges and place another round on top.
- Press down, and make designs with a fork. Roll out the remaining puff pastry, and repeat the process.
- Place on a greased or lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven till risen and golden brown from top. This will take around 25 – 30 minutes.
Note: The chicken patties can be made in advance and stored in the freezer. Just take them out and bake them directly, adding about 10 minutes to the normal baking time.