Knee pain is quite a common medical condition that happens due to wear and tear of the knee joints. It can be experienced during any age, however, women are more likely to experience this than men. Pain can be rooted in any of the hard structures of the knee joint (femur, tibia and fibula), the kneecap (patella) or the ligaments (meniscus). However, the seriousness of this pain can shift from minor ache to severe and crippling pain.
Here are 8 home remedies that can help relieve knee pain:
1. Cold Pack
Applying ice pack to the paining knee is one of the best and simplest approaches to lessen the pain and swelling. The coolness will contract the veins, diminish blood flow to the influenced zone and help reduce swelling.
- Wrap a handful of ice cubes in a towel.
- Apply the cold pack to the affected knee area for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Do this twice or thrice daily until your pain is gone.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can also be used to reduce the knee pain. The alkalizing impact of ACV breaks down mineral buildups and harmful toxins inside knee joints. It additionally restores the natural lubricant of joints to diminish pain and advance mobility.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in 2 cups of water. Drink this mixture throughout the day.
- You can also add 2 cups of ACV to a bath tub of warm water. Soak the affected knee in the water for 30 minutes. Do this once daily for a few days.
- You can also mix together 1 tablespoon each of ACV and olive oil. Use it to massage the affected knee once or twice daily.
3. Ginger Mix
Whether knee pain is because of joint inflammation, muscle strain or damage, ginger is a viable solution to lessen it. Ginger can also help diminish swelling on the knee.
- Crush a small piece of fresh ginger root.
- Add to 1 cup of water and boil it for 10 minutes.
- Strain and add a little honey and lemon juice to it.
- Drink 2-3 cups of this ginger tea daily until the pain is gone.
Turmeric is one of the effective home remedies to relieve knee pain. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory as well as antioxidant properties that help reduce pain.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon each of ginger and turmeric to a cup of water.
- Boil it for 10 minutes and strain.
- Add honey to taste.
- Sip this tea twice daily.
You can also boil 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of milk. Sweeten with honey and drink it once daily.
Note: As turmeric can thin the blood, these turmeric remedies are not suitable for those taking blood-thinning medicine.
5. Soak in Epsom Salt
Epsom salt contains magnesium sulfate, which sounds sort of alarming, yet it’s truly a great substance. A natural mineral, magnesium sulfate has been utilized to get help from joint pains for quite a long time.
- Add 1/2 cup of Epsom salt in a hot bath and mix it well.
- Soak the affected knee in this solution for 15 minutes.
- Practice this a few times a week to relieve the pain.
Note: This remedy is not recommended for those suffering from high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes.
6. Lemon for Knee Pain
Lemon is another effective home remedy for knee pain. The citric acid found in lemon works as a solvent for uric acid crystals, which is the cause of some types of arthritis.
- Cut 1 or 2 lemons into small pieces.
- Tie the pieces in a cotton cloth and dip it in warm sesame oil.
- Place the cloth on the affected knee for five to 10 minutes.
- Do this twice daily.
7. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is another successful topical medication for joint inflammation. You can make your own cayenne mixture at home.
- Prepare a mixture by adding 2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper powder in 1/2 cup of warm olive oil.
- Apply this paste on the affected area twice daily for at least one week.
8. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds can also be used to relieve knee pain because of their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Soak 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in filtered water overnight.
- In the morning, drain off the water and munch on the seeds.
- Do this daily for 2 weeks.
You can also,
- Roast and grind a handful of fenugreek seeds.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of this powder to water to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected knee area.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water.
Before you attempt any of these home remedies for knee pain, whether a dietary supplement or other topical treatment, consult with your physician. Some supplements can react with different drugs or have undesirable reactions. The sooner you get to the foundation of the issue, the sooner you’ll be headed for recovery.
- Remember, that it is just a temporary alternate and ought to be utilized sparingly More Home Remedies.