10 Foods for Great Hair
Who doesn’t love a perfect hair day? The ordinary advice, “lather, rinse, repeat” written on almost all shampoo and conditioner bottles is not usually enough to give them what they really crave for. Having to fulfill your hair’s craving, you need to come out of the hair product department in your bathroom to the fridge of your kitchen.
A dietitian states, “Our hair grows about ¼ to ½ inch every month and the foundation of all our new hair, skin and nail growth is from the nutrients we eat”. We all are pretty acquainted with the phrase, “you are what you eat”. So, to have those luxurious locks, you need to work your way inside out.
Here are some foods you can feed your hair to have them shining and growing like hair product ads.
- Salmon for shine: Salmon is a type of food for your hair that is loaded with omega 3 fatty acids and is also high-quality protein source filled with vitamin B-12 and iron. Omega-3 is important for our bodies as it can’t be produced by ourselves. This helps our skull from being dry thus making our hair look dull. Salmon boosts on making it grow and shine like anything!
- Grow with Greek Yogurt: This is another source that is packed with protein to help build a block of your locks. Greek yogurt also contains an ingredient which helps with blood circulation of our scalp and hair growth. It called vitamin B5 also known as pantothenic acid, that may also help fight against Great Hair thinning and loss.
- Spinach to Battle Brittle Hair: Dark green veggie for the hair is like cherry on top for your hair. Eating spinach like Popeye the sailor man will not only help you get tons of vitamin A, plus iron, beta carotene, folate and vitamin C but an escape from having brittle hair. These nutrients help your Great Hair staying moisturized and not breaking.
- Guava to Prevent Breakage: A specialty of our local Pakistani fruit, guava is more than just a tropical fruit. It is loaded with vitamin C that protects your hair from breaking. Did you know? One cup of guava has 377 milligrams of vitamin C. Guava tempting much?
- Iron-Fortified Cereal to Prevent Loss: Having a deficiency in iron can lead to major hair loss. But you can easily find this at the first meal of your day, CEREAL! Cereal will also help to maintain your weight for those that are too health conscious or want to lose some. Iron can be found in grains, pastas, soybeans and lentils for the vegetarians. And for our carnivores, organ meats like liver have lots of it.
- Lean Poultry for Thickness: When your hair doesn’t have enough intake of protein, hair growth takes a stop. Stopping of hair leads to the cycle of hair loss because of older hair falling out. Protein is very much found in lean meat like chicken and turkey, which are less on saturated fat unlike red meat like beef.
- Sweet Potatoes to Fight Dull Locks: Losing your shine because of your hair? Another item that’s easily found in local Pakistan, are sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are enriched with an antioxidant called beta carotene. Our bodies turn this antioxidant into Vitamin A. Vitamin A then helps protect against dull dry hair. It also helps to produce an oily fluid called sebum from keeping our skull and hair drying out on us. Beta Carotene can also be found in carrots, pumpkins, cantaloupe and mangoes…yummy!
- Cinnamon for Circulation: This is found in every other household in Pakistan and internationally too! Using it as a sprinkle on for oatmeal, toast or even in your coffee does more than just add a little taste. It helps with the blood flow that allows oxygen and nutrients to do their right job to having healthy Great Hair.
- Eggs for Growth: Eggs can cover your intake of protein and iron as well. They’re rich with Vitamin B also called biotin that helps your hair grow. Again, not having enough, will lead to an egg like head.
- Go nuts for thick hair: Nuts like walnuts contain alpha-linoleic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid that may help condition your Great Hair. They are also a great source for zinc, like cashews, pecans and almonds. Adding nuts to your healthy hair menu is a must.