The Many Ways You Can Use “Multani Mitti”
I am sure that every girl of school/university going age in desi households has been what I call, ‘multani mitti abused’. By this I mean when moms suddenly freak out over tans we get after a hot summer day and would go to the nearest convenient store and buy the largest packet of multani mitti money could buy. No tan is a permanent tan under our moms watch. I was forced to put this disgusting brown muddy substance on my face until my mom was satisfied the ‘kalak’ was off my face. At first I would get very annoyed because I couldn’t fathom how putting literal mud on my face was going to help at all but with time I’ve come to appreciate the many benefits and uses of multani mitti. More formally known as Fuller’s Earth, this substance has many minerals including magnesium chloride, which is great for the skin. The fine granules help suck up the dirt and oil from the skin and hair. Given below are some of the many benefits and ways you can use “multani mitti”.
- Multani mitti is great for removing acne off the face. Acne forms due to the accumulation of dirt and oil in the facial pores which get infected by bacteria and form pustules aka pimples. With its power to absorb oil effectively, it can help remove the accumulated gunk from your pores, shrinking those pimples after only a few years.
- It is also great to lighten pigmentation and tan off the skin. Just add some rose water to the clay to make a paste and apply every alternate day for best results.
- To get a shiner, more glowing skin, use multani mitti regularly or every alternate day. This is a great tip for brides. Multani mitti helps remove the layer of dead cells at the surface of the kin, revealing a younger more radiant layer below.
- If your skin is extremely oily, multani mitti should be your friend. If used regularly, it can change your skin type from oily to normal.
- It can also be used as hot and warm compresses to help warm or cool the skin incase of menstrual cramps, insect bites, sunburns etc. For a cold compress the mitti should be mixed with cold water and vice versa.
- Multani mitti is also a good remedy for allergy or rashes since it can cool down the area and reduce inflammation.
- The secret to a healthy looking skin is good blood flow. It is not too hard to figure out that the blood brings all the oxygen, minerals and other useful substances to the skin. Multani mitti is great for increasing circulation. This same principal is applied to hair. Multani mitti hair masks can bring back the life and volume to dry, brittle hair.
- It also helps remove dandruff, scalp acne, eczema and similar scalp conditions.
- Multani mitti masks are great conditioners for the hair. They remove dirt and toxins that get accumulated at the roots and leaves them shiny and smooth without drying them out.
There are several different ways multani mitti can be used on the face and hair. It can be applied in the form of a paste which is how it is usually applied, but to avail the maximum out of this, you can add other substances that are known to be beneficial to the skin and hair. This can include rose water, coconut oil, almond paste, honey, lemon and so on. For most hair masks, amla, yoghurt and honey are the best options. Just be sure not to over use multani mitti as it can dry the skin out. Eating it is a big no as it can cause kidney stones and intestinal blockage.